Douglas S. Chan
Visiting Researcher Scholar
Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
University of California, Berkeley
Douglas S. Chan received from Cornell University his Ph.D. degree
in electrical and computer engineering (ECE) with minor in applied mathematics in 2006 and M.Eng. degree in electrical engineering (EE) in 2001.
He received his B.A.Sc. degree in EE from Queen's University in Canada.
Since 2014, Doug has been a Visiting Researcher Scholar with the Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at
University of California, Berkeley, where his work is affiliated with the
Swarm Lab and Berkeley Wireless Research Center.
Prior to that (2006-2014), Doug was a Technical Leader at Cisco Systems' Wireless Networking Business Unit and his work included
R&D on wireless LAN products and their standardizations. Later at Cisco, Doug was with Cisco
Advanced Architecture and Research, where he investigated emerging paradigms
like fog computing, data analytics, and Internet of Things.
Before Cornell (1998-2000), Doug was a Software
Engineer with the IBM Toronto Lab, where he developed enterprise-scaled
applications for database access, distributed computing and network
Doug also had various internships in the wireless industry: Hong
Kong Telecom CSL
(Mobile Networks: Radio Planning);
Texas Instruments (Communications Systems Lab); and Symbol
Technologies (Corporate R&D).
In 2006 (Jan-May), he was a Visiting Scientist with the School of ECE at Cornell University.
Doug is a Senior Member of IEEE and a licensed professional engineer (P.Eng.) of Ontario,
Canada. He was elected as Secretary for the IEEE Signal Processing Society Santa Clara Valley chapter for 2007-2009. Doug also received recognitions from the IEEE Standards Association on his contributions to the 802.11n and 802.11y wireless LAN standards.
- Multiple access in communication networks
- Multiaccess theory and multiuser information theory
- Radio resource management for wireless systems
- Physical layer techniques for wireless channels
- MIMO-OFDM-based physical layers
- Single-user and multi-user MIMO beamforming
- Industry standards for WPANs, WLANs and WMANs
- IEEE 802 and mobile cellular standards
- Applications of data analytics and machine learning
- Financial markets modeling
- Video source encoding and compression
- Wireless video on mobile devices
- Video quality assessment
- Applications of network coding and rateless codes
Publications (Select list)
Journals and Conferences:
- Ben Zhang, Nitesh Mor, John Kolb, Douglas S. Chan, Nikhil Goyal, Ken Lutz, Eric Allman, John Wawrzynek, Edward Lee and John Kubiatowicz, "The Cloud is Not Enough: Saving IoT from the Cloud," Proc. of 7th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud '15) , Jul 2015.
- Xiaoqing Zhu, Douglas S. Chan, Hao Hu, Mythili S. Prabhu, Elango Ganesan and Flavio Bonomi, "Improving Video Performance with Edge Servers in the Fog Computing Architectures," Intel Technology Journal, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 202-204, Apr 2015.
- Douglas S. Chan, Toby Berger and Lang Tong, "Carrier Sense Multiple Access Communications on Multipacket Reception Channels: Theory and Applications to IEEE 802.11 Wireless Networks," IEEE Trans. on Communications, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 266-278, Jan 2013.
- Xiantao Sun, Qi Wang, Lenoard J. Cimini, Larry J. Greenstein and Douglas S. Chan, "ICI/ISI-Aware Beamforming for MIMO-OFDM Wireless Systems," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 378-385, Jan 2012.
- Douglas S. Chan and Toby Berger, "Upper Bound for the Capacity of Multiple Access Protocols on Multipacket Reception Channels," Proc. of 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT 2012), Jul 2012.
[Complete list of journal, conference and other publications]
Patents (Select list)
Research Grant Awarded
Professional Society Services
- "User Interaction Aware Content Generation and Distribution for Next Generation Social Television" (ACTION-TV), European Union FP7-ICT STREP ICT Call 10 grant, €2.7 million, 2014-2017.
- For Cisco Systems, co-principal investigators
University of Surrey, Disney Research Zurich, Turk
Fraunhofer Institute, Human-Factors-Consult, and
Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen.
Invited Seminars (Recent list)
- Technical Program Committee Member, 19th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (ACM MobiCom 2013),
- Secretary (elected position), IEEE Signal Processing Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter, California, USA, May 2007-Dec 2009.
|Online since 03/15/2000. Last updated on 01/20/2016.